Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Child Is Waiting

A little over a month ago I had the opportunity to lead the "A Child Is Waiting" event at the church where I serve. World Vision is the organization behind this event. The event itself raises awareness of the needs of children in poverty situations all over the world. It is also a call to action in the form of child sponsorship.

I am so pleased that 6 children received sponsorship through our event. It takes commitment to sponsor a child. Often times, it is hard to make that commitment. For some of us, $35 a month is not a small sacrifice. For others, money not may be the issue at all, but the issue may be a lack of compassion or simply apathy. For most of us, I just think we avoid making promises. We ask ourselves, "Will I really stick with this? I'll feel terrible if my giving just fades away."

We can come up with a lot of excuses.

But, fortunately, for 6 children, somebody was willing to take the challenge and put the excuses to the side. They made the commitment and that commitment will make a huge difference in the lives of these kids who are living in communities severely affected by the HIV/AIDS crisis in Africa.

Thank you - all of you who stepped up to the plate! Keep me posted on what you hear from your child.

No comments: