Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Albuquerque








I saw Weird Al Yankovic in concert last night. It was the second time I have seen him live. I dragged Christy along with me this time and she actually enjoyed it - don't let her tell you any different.

I know it might sound crazy, but in the realm of "concert production", Al's show is in the top 3 of the best produced concerts that I have ever attended. Even if you aren't a huge fan of Al, you wouldn't be able to walk away from his show disappointed. It is quite a spectacle.








Of course, it helped that I had amazing seats. We were in the 9th row. When Al came out into the crowd for one of the songs, we were separated from him by just 8 people.








Christy's favorite song of the night was Amish Paradise. I, on the other hand, have a hard time narrowing it down. I love the old stuff (Fat, Eat It) because it reminds me of being a kid and sitting around listening to Weird Al on vinyl and cassette tape. I also love the stuff that he put out when I was a teen. Especially his parody of Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana. And, I must admit, his newest polka medley that he opens the show with is one of the funniest things I have ever heard.

It was a great night. And, in case you were wondering, the other two concerts that fall into my top 3 best productions category are...(drum roll please)...dc talk - Welcome To The Freak Show Tour and Garth Brooks' mid-nineties tour. Man, did I pick 3 completely different genres or what?

No comments: