Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Back In Time

My Palm Pilot, which I have used faithfully for the past 6 years, is dying. She's fading fast. I don't know how much longer she can hold on. I fear the day is soon approaching when she will breathe her last breath and I will no longer be able to hold her in my hands. The worst part about that day will be the fact that my entire organized life will be lost forever.

So, today I had to make a decision before it was too late. I'm going back to paper.

I started thinking about the good old days. As a college student, I was employed by FranklinCovey. Yes, while all my friends were working at popular clothing stores such as J. Riggins and Structure (may they Rest In Peace) and spending their paychecks on cool clothes at a discounted price, I was using my employee discount to buy refills for my classic size black leather binder.

What a simpler time it was.

I know I have other options. I could buy a new Palm Pilot or similar device. I could by something Blackberry-ish. But for some reason, when I walked into OfficeMax, I once again heard the alluring voice of FranklinCovey refills whispering in my ear.

"Come back," they gently said. "We're not as expensive as new technology, we don't become obsolete in 3 months, and we never crash!"

Tonight, I'll dig my old black leather binder out of a box, dust it off, remove my pages from 2002, and insert July-December 2008. Then I will begin the task of transferring all my data onto paper.

How long will it be before I realize why Palm Pilots were invented and why I loved mine so much? I think I'll at least stick with paper through December. After that, the possibilities are endless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually Structure is now Express Men. And their clothes suck.

I have my good ol' Franklin Covey paper planner too!

Charlie said...

Jake, I know this is a total abuse of your comments, but will you PLEASE tell Taylor to email me? That girl is darn hard to locate! Email is Charliegirl2490@yahoo.com and tell her everytime I eat spaghettios (which is every week since my kids hardly eat anything else) I think about her! Thanks! -Christy's former roomate, Charlie