Monday, November 19, 2007

Overload

I don't think I am alone with my feelings about conventions. There is a part of me that really loves them. But, there is also a part of me that really dislikes them. Allow me to explain.

I love them for many reasons. Often at conventions I run into friends that I haven't seen or heard from in a long time. It's a great chance to catch up, remember old times, and hang out. I also really enjoy listening to the speakers at the main sessions and the workshops. I realize that there is so much to learn from others and I always look forward to hearing the perspective of other people on different issues. The exhibit areas of conventions are also something I look forward to. It's always amazing to me how many resources are out there to assist me in my life's work and passion.

There is also the part of me that dislikes conventions. My main reason for dislike is the fact that I am the type of person that gets overloaded with information and overwhelmed by it quite easily. Then I get frustrated because I have a hard time envisioning how to get from where I am to where I would like to go based on everything that I've just learned.

All that being said, the National Missionary Convention had a bit of a different effect on me than most conventions. All the things I love were present. But, instead of disliking the information overload, I was inspired by it. By the end of the convention I was tired and a bit overwhelmed, but I wasn't frustrated. What I am beginning to realize is that God is on a mission, and because I follow Jesus, I am on a mission as well.

As I looked around me at the convention, I could see with my own eyes people who are on this mission all over the world. I could see that there is a need for people to be a part of this mission everywhere. While that can be overwhelming, it is also exciting because the possibilities for what part each of us will play in this mission are endless.

And, while we all have different roles to fill, the method of the mission should be the same for all of us - "Total Self-Denial."

"Then Jesus said to his disciples, 'If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.'" -Matthew 16:24 (NIV)

No comments: