Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Write Now

I can finally take a breath. It has been a busy few weeks that ended with a very busy weekend. But, now that The Christmas S.O.C.C.E.R. Team Kids Choir Musical, The Live Nativity, and the Williamsburg Community Band Christmas Concert are all finished, I can actually begin to relax a little and enjoy the season. I didn't even have time to write over the past couple weeks.

And, speaking of writing (I rock at segues), I just found out that a good friend of mine is a published author! Josh Carter and I went to high school together (Go Maroons) and we attended the same church (Go FCC - Clinton). Then we both ended up going to the same college (Go Golden Eagles).

After a semester, Josh transferred to another school. He eventually got married, started a family, and now works for the Fellowship Of Christian Athletes. Actually, I just summed up about 13 years of Josh's life in one sentence. Obviously, I left out a ton of important details.

Josh has always been an awesome athlete. Due to my extreme lack of athletic ability, I can't remember a time when I have even contemplated playing him in anything. In fact, I think the only sport that I have ever played with Josh is volleyball, and most of the time we were on the same team. Now that I think about it, I am sure he let me be on his team out of pity.

I've always thought it was really great that Josh hooked up with FCA as a career. It's such a great fit for him. He has a heart for ministry and a passion for sports. I know that the work that he is involved in is making an impact in the lives of young athletes and coaches.

When I found out he had written a book of devotions I immediately demanded that he send me an autographed copy (for free, of course). Within a couple days I received it in the mail. On the inside, Josh signed, "Josh Carter - Acts 20:24." He also sent a note on a separate piece of paper that read, "...I didn't personalize this in case you want to give it away..."

I am inclined to believe that this was meant to be a slam on my lack of athletic ability - as in, "Why would YOU need a book of devotions for athletes?" But, knowing Josh and his humility, I am sure what he meant was, "Seriously, you don't have to read this if you don't want to."

Well, I have been reading it, and it is great! If you would like to get a copy you can order it at http://www.crosstrainingpublishing.com/. The title of the book is Running 2 Win 4 Him. As is written in the introduction of the book, "It can be used for individual study, with a teammate, as a team/small group study, or for larger groups (FCA Huddle meetings, etc.)." I encourage you to check it out!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's cool stuff Jake. I remember Josh. He was a good guy. Thanks for the info.

BTW- Abby and I went to an EFO show last week. It was awesome. They are still amazing. Hilarious..fun..great music. Thought of you.