Friday, October 12, 2007

"Let Us Go To Him Outside The Camp"

As I read that heading in chapter 3 of John Piper’s book, Let The Nations Be Glad, I admit that I had no idea what was coming next. In my years of study, I guess I have somehow missed this short section of the book of Hebrews. But, after I read the conclusions that Piper drew from this scripture, I quickly began to try to dig a little bit deeper into the meaning of that phrase.

You’ll read more on that later. But first, let me start off by saying…

I have been thinking about starting a blog for awhile now. But, I have also been reluctant to do so. Partly because I often times find blogs annoying and I don’t want to add to the immense amount of irritating material in the blogosphere. In fact, that word is really annoying and I promise to never use it again. Anyway, I have noticed, on the other hand, that there are a few blogs out there that I actually find useful, informative, and even entertaining. I would like this to be one of those. That’s where it gets tricky, though. You see, I don’t want to have an annoying blog, I want to have a great blog…but doesn’t everybody? Does anybody start off their blogging career by saying, “I am going to create the most useless, dull, boring, and annoying blog ever?” Of course not, because we all think we have something to contribute. I think I have something to contribute. But, do I? Who knows?

The one thing I do know is that the blogs that I find to be great are the blogs that have a purpose. They are the blogs that are informing their readers about events that are important for one reason or another. They are blogs that are keeping concerned people up to date about topics that mean something. They are blogs that are honest – sometimes funny and sometimes serious – but always honest. They are blogs that are telling a story of some kind. They are following a journey. These are the blogs that I think are contributing positively to the…um…place where blogs are posted and float around.

So, that’s what I hope this blog will be. I would like to promise to you, the reader, exciting stories, humorous anecdotes, spirit lifting tales, and impeccable grammar. Actually, I can’t really promise any of those things on a consistent basis. I do hope that you enjoy visiting here, though. And, if you get completely annoyed with this blog, please move on to something better. I would if I were you. And, I will even give you links to blogs that aren’t annoying. How considerate of me!

1 comment:

steve-o said...

Yes, I own the first comment.

The same thing I tell any of my friends who starts a blog: if you can keep it up for a month, then I'll add your link to my site.

I know this sounds snobby but the reality is that few people make it this long. Usually people who last a month are in for the long haul. The interwebs are littered with defunct blogs, abandoned and forgotten.

Persevere, Jake, you can do it.